Tuesday 12 February 2008

Very long overdue update

I have been working on this entry for a long time, I kept deleting what I had written so here goes. Last October it all got too much for me and I ended up on anti-depression tablets. I went to see the surgeon about getting the op done in October and was told it would be 1 or 2 months. This did not help my state of mind cos when told that you only seem to hear the 2 months bit. So I am expecting end of December at this point. A long way off with more problems till I get there. However I actually went into hospital on 11th November and had op on the 12th.
The surgical team wanted to give me a epidural for pain relief after the operation but after 30 minutes of pain they gave up trying to get it in so I had to put up with normal morphine through the drip instead. The op went OK, took ages to come round again but all seemed OK, repaired the hernia and gave me a permanent ileostomy. This blog was supposed to be a diary of how I cope with a loop ileo for about 18 months. So how do I go on with it? Do I continue with it so other people can read it to see what sort of things we ostomates go through? I think I will probably keep it up for a while. Anyway, back to the post op time; was in one hell of a lot of pain following the operation, the morphine did not keep a lid on it and then to make things worse the surgical team took it away too soon anyway! I then managed to persuade the nurses that I needed something else and saw the acute pain nurse. I am not sure what they put me on but it worked a dream. Then I noticed that I was suffering from a lot of redness around the stoma. I had a nice little infection with cellulitis setting in. This was a worry for me as it did not seem to improve for a long time. Then to top it off I changed my bag one morning and I found I had 2 holes in my abdomen. This scared the crap out of me as I then told this was a fistula and I had a hole in my bowel somewhere that was emptying inside so my body made a route for this to escape. So I now had a stoma and to the right of this I had 2 holes draining crap into my bag. I found out that I was lucky as this problem is rare but there is no guarantee that a fistula will be anywhere near the stoma. It can appear anywhere so I was lucky that I could use one bag to collect the output and not have to have 2 bags stuck on me! So I get put on some extremely strong antibiotics through an IV and told that this should clear up the infection raging through my body, caused by the faeces emptying into my abdomen. Eventually I was taken off them and told that if I did not crash in 24 hours I should be OK. There was no tablet form of these antibiotics so I had to be OK with nothing before I could go home. Luckily after 2 days I had not got any worse and was allowed home.
Will leave it there for now and prob come back to it later.

No comments: